Student Support Services
To meet our staff or book an appointment online please go to this page.
What is Student Support Services?
Student Support Services is a federally funded program which provides the following
services for qualifying students: Advising, Tutoring, Career Planning, Cultural Activities,
and Freshmen Mentoring.
How do I qualify for the program?
A student is eligible for the program if they are:
- A first generation student (neither parent graduated from a 4-year institution) and/or
- Financially eligible (must meet the federal guidelines)
- Disabled (physical or learning)
- 2/3rds of our participants must be both first generation and low income
What services will I receive?
- Course selection
- Course scheduling
- Maintaining a good GPA
- Academic Probation Advising
- Academic Monitoring
- Individual and group tutoring
- Times arranged according to need
- Free tutors
- Learning lab
- Computers for student use
Career Planning and Personal Development Counseling:
- Learn valuable test taking skills
- Explore values, interests, talents, and skills
- Examine career interests
- Set strategies for career planning
- Learn about LMU
Participants are invited to attend free cultural trips. Trips in the past have been:
- Abraham Lincoln’s birthplace
- Kentucky Dinner Train
- Barter Theatre
- Star of Knoxville Riverboat
- Chattanooga, TN
- Tennessee Theatre
- University of Tennessee's Clarence Brown Theatre
- Cumberland County Playhouse
All new participants will be assigned to a peer mentor for their first year at LMU.
The Peer Mentor will assist students in acclimating themselves to a college environment.
They will also assist them with tutoring if needed.
How do I become a participant?
- Complete an SSS application
- Be qualified
- Enroll in UACT 100S course “Strategies for College Success”
What will I study in this class
This class is a 2-hour college credit letter grade class. Topics include:
- Emotional Intellience
- Textbook Reading
- Note taking
- Learning Styles
- Memory Strategies
- Time Management
- Stress Management
- Goal Setting
- Test Taking/Test Anxiety
- Critical Thinking
- Careers and Majors
- Informational Literacy
- Financial Literacy
Federal Student Aid
For more information contact:
Lincoln Memorial University
6965 Cumberland Gap Parkway
Harrogate, TN 37752